September 19, 2018
Today we're talking long term athlete development with Joey Garland, formerly the strength and conditioning coach and athletic therapist for the OHL's Windsor Spitfires. Joey talks about his masters thesis where he dug into the competitive history of a group of players who made it to the OHL to see the similarities and differences between those experiences.
This episode got a little long relative to our other episodes, so we got into a few awesome topics like
- The difference between players who ended their carreers in the OHL, and those that made it to the NHL
- Are Canadian National Team players all great athletes?
- The value of creative play, and why it's lacking today
- Sewerball injuries
- How you can make a difference in your community and help develop young athletes
Hope you enjoy this episode, lots of meaningful stuff here.
June 26, 2018
After wrapping up his 12th year as the San Jose Sharks' Strength and Conditioning coach, Mike Potenza is busy organizing and a series of seminars with Jim Lavalle (author, Your Blood Never Lies and Cracking the Metabolic Code) that will teach professionals how to optimize performance with information gathered from blood tests.
On this episode we will be talking about...
- the topics for the upcoming seminars in San Jose and at MBSC in Woburn, Mass.
- how the sports medicine staff tests the Sharks
- how the results of individual blood tests guide the decision making and planning for each athlete throughout the season
- the most common defficiencies in NHL players
- where to start when considering blood testing
To get more information about the upcoming clinics, head to optimizinghumanperformance.com and find out more.
June 5, 2018
On the 71st episode of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we talk with the final presenter for the 2018 NSCA Training for Hockey Clinic, strength coach with the San Jose Sharks, Kevin Neeld.
Kevin's presentation will be about how the Sharks use testing to individualize the training process for the players. In this chat, we will discuss
- the purpose of the screening process
- the value of communication and feedback for the players
- common issues we see in hockey players
- how working in the private sector helps Kevin coach in the team setting
If you enjoy Kevin's presentation, there's still time to grab a seat at the clinc. For more info about the clinic, or to access the live stream, head to https://www.nsca.com/hockey2018/
June 4, 2018
On Episode 70 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, the Carolina Hurricanes' Sports Performance staff talks about the team effort it takes to keep NHLers healthy throughout the season. Head Athletic Trainer Doug Bennett and Head Strength Coach Bill Burniston talk about
- respecting the expertise of those around you
- the reationship between athletic trainers and strength coaches
- gaining the trust of the players
- the daily injury prevention measures of the Hurricanes staff
We look forward to hearing from these two at the Training for Hockey Clinic coming up in just a few days.
To join us at the clinic, or to join the live feed head to https://www.nsca.com/hockey2018/
May 29, 2018
Today Anthony Donskov, head coach at Donskov Strength and Conditioning in Worthington, OH discusses his presentation for the upcoming NSCA Training for Hockey Clinic. Anthony will be doing both a lecture and a hands-on presentation at the clinic, both on slightly different topics.
In his lecture, Coach Donskov will be addressing micro-planning considerations for the off season, and telling us how he is able to challenge athletes in a team setting, and his most advanced athletes throughout the off season.
In the hands-on session, he will be teaching the value and application of isometric training throughout the season with athletes of different ages and levels.
Can't wait to hear more from Coach Donskov at the clinic. Enjoy this conversation!
May 22, 2018
On Episode 68 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we chat with Dan Garner, head coach at HockeyTraining.com. Coach Garner's upcoming presentation for the NSCA's Training for Hockey Clinic, Maximizing Hockey Perfornance through Game Day Nutrition.
Throughout this episode, we touch on
- the 4 phases of game day nutrition
- is nutrient timing really that important?
- the most underappreciated aspects of hockey nutrition today
If you'd like to learn more about Coach Garner, check out HockeyTraining.com. You can also connect with him on Facebook (Hockey Training) and Instagram @hockeytrainingtips
May 17, 2018
On Episode 66 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we sit down with Rich Molin, head strengt coach at Dynamic Fitness Solutions in DelRay Beach, FL.
Rich will be presenting at the 2018 Training for Hockey Clinic in Colorado Springs, June 8th and 9th, and we're excited to check out his presentation on the initial phases of off-season training.
On this episode, Rich talks about
- How to determine where and when to start summer training with players
- Assessing incoming players
- Minimizing injury risk in the first phase of training
- Regaining movement quality
May 9, 2018
On the 66th episode of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we talk with Justin Roethlingshoefer from the Anaheim Ducks about making better decisions with the information you have at hand. In this episode we discuss...
- making training decisions on the fly the day of training
- creating buy-in when it comes to tech usage
- keeping athletes connected with themselves
- a special offer for the families of the Humboldt Broncos
Justin is just one of many great presenters coming to the 2018 NSCA Training for Hockey Clinic which fires up on June 8th.
If you'd like to purchase Justin and Devan McConnell's new book, Intent, purchase here Remember, profits from the book will be donated to the families of the Humboldt Broncos.
May 1, 2018
On Episode 65 of the Hockey Strength Podcast, we are joined by long-time NHL strength coach and current Director at the UPMC Sports Performance Center in Pittsburgh, PA.
Lorne will be presenting on developing speed and agility in hockey players at the NSCA's Training for Hockey Clinic in Colorado Springs on June 8th and 9th. In our conversation we talk about...
- what to prioritize when it comes to developing speed
- common issues that can make it hard to develop speed in hockey players
- tools and assessments to determine common misalignments in hockey players
Any questions for Lorne? Message him on Twitter @lornegoldenberg
April 24, 2018
On Episode 64 ot the Hockey Strength Podcast, we are joined by Scott Caulfield, head coach at the NSCA and the man behind the NSCA's Training for Hockey Clinic.
We are going to catch up with Coach Caulfield about a few things, including...
- Who will be presenting at this year's clinc?
- How did this clinic come to be?
- Your (two) options for attending the clinic in Colorado Springs
- The REAL value of coming in person (hint: it helps to form some big ideas)
Listen in, and enjoy finding out about the speakers and topics.
When you are ready to book your trip, head to https://www.nsca.com/hockey2018/ and book your spot. Early bird pricing is good until May 24th, but book soon because there is a very real capacity in the conference room at NSCA Headquarters.